|Looking south towards Rosslyn
Circle from the Key Bridge. The photograph on the left was
taken from the foot of the Key Bridge shortly after its completion
in 1923. Streetcars from Washington, like the one in the center
of the photograph, crossed the new bridge and turned around in
Rosslyn Circle. Passengers could walk across the street to the
Washington and Old Dominion Railway terminal, the light-colored
building on the right. The terminal was opened in 1923 and demolished
in 1939. On the left, with a gabled roof, is the terminal of
the Washington-Virginia Railway. Passengers could catch trolleys
to Mount Vernon on one line, or to Clarendon and Fairfax on another.
As late as 1960, Rosslyn looked much as it does in the photograph
on the left. The first office building was completed in 1961,
and others followed in rapid succession.